Register of Antarctic Species (RAS)
Antarcic biodiversity is endemic, and more diverse and biogeographically structued than previously thought. Interests in understanding species distribution, mechanisms driving spatial pattern of Antarctic species, as well as significance of underexplored taxons is rapidly growing. Human impacts, nevertheless, pose challenges to current and future understanding of Antarctic biodiversity and conservation.
Register of Antarctic Species (RAS) aims to provide an authorative and comprehensive list of names of marine and terrestrial species in Antarctica and the Southern Ocean. It serves as a reference guide for users to intepret taxonomic literature, as valid names and other names in use are both provided.
Taxonomic experts and database managers both contribute to the maintenance and development of RAS. The editorial management system of RAS works to ensure that quality information is presented, as an expert is responsible for each taxonomic group.
Information of marine taxons hosted on RAS is consistent with that in World Register of Marine Species, as information of terrestrial taxons grows on an independent process.
The RAS Editorial Board strives to maintain the website a comprehensive and up-to-date resource. Please contact us if you detect any error or omission. Authors are encouraged to send copies of publications to respective editors with details of new or revised nomenclature.
Usage of data from the REgister of Antarctic Species in scientific publications should be acknowledged by citing as follows:
- RAS (Eds.) (2020) Register of Antarctic Species. Accessed at http://ras.biodiversity.aq on 2020-10-20
If the data from the REgister of Antarctic Species constitute a substantial proportion of the records used in analyses, the chief editor(s) of the database should be contacted. There may be additional data which may prove valuable to such analyses.
Individual pages are individually authored and dated. These can be cited separately: the proper citation is provided at the bottom of each page.
- Biersma, Elise: Thematic editor: Plantae (Bryophytes)
- Brandão, Simone Nunes: Thematic editor: Ostracoda
- Collins, Gemma Elyse: Acari, Collembola
- Convey, Peter: Thematic editor: Animalia (terrestrial invertebrates)
- De Broyer, Claude: Thematic editor: Amphipoda
- Downey, Rachel: Thematic editor: Porifera
- Figuerola, Blanca: Thematic editor: Bryozoa
- Flores, Hauke: Thematic editor: Pisces
- Gan, Yi Ming: Thematic editor: Biota
- Gutt, Julian: Thematic editor: Biota
- Hogg, Ian: Thematic editor: Acari, Thematic editor: Collembola
- Jersabek, Christian D.: Thematic editor: Rotifera
- Jossart, Quentin: Thematic editor: Asteroidea
- Lins Pereira, Lidia: Thematic editor: Nematoda
- Linse, Katrin: Thematic editor: Bivalvia, Thematic editor: Gastropoda, Thematic editor: Monoplacophora, Thematic editor: Scaphopoda
- Lockhart, Susanne: Thematic editor: Biota
- McInnes, Sandra J.: Thematic editor: Tardigrada
- Merican, Faradina: Thematic editor: Cyanobacteria (and microalgae)
- Ropert-Coudert, Yan: Thematic editor: Vertebrata
- Saucède, Thomas: Thematic editor: Echinoidea
- Schiaparelli, Stefano: Thematic editor: Bivalvia, Thematic editor: Gastropoda, Thematic editor: Scaphopoda
- Soler Membrives, Anna: Thematic editor: Pycnogonida
- Waller, Cath: Thematic editor: Bryozoa
© RAS Editorial Board. The text on the RAS pages is open-access under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use provided it is cited as requested on the RAS webpages.